Lions stop skid with 83-75 win over Northwest Missouri in overtime

Joplin, Mo. -- A pair of career-highs from Shatara Stone and Tatianna Washington helped propel the Missouri Southern women's basketball team to an 83-75 overtime win over visiting Northwest Missouri tonight, snapping a six-game losing streak in the process. 

Southern (6-10, 2-8 MIAA) was led in scoring by Washington's 20 points and seven rebounds. Haley Weathers scored 20 and pulled down eight rebounds, while Stone had a double-double with 15 points and ten boards. Erin Rice picked up a double-double of her own with 12 points and 12 rebounds. 

Northwest (4-13, 2-8 MIAA) was led in scoring by Maggie Marnin as she scored a career-high 24 points off of the bench. Shelly MArtin scored 19, while Abby Henry added ten. 

A layup from Stone gave the Lions a 17-11 lead with nine minutes left in the first half. Southern opened up a 25-13 lead after a three pointer from  Weathers with 5:27 left in the half, but Northwest went on a 13-1 run over the next three minutes to tie the game after a three pointer from Ashleigh Nelson with 2:22 left. Southern, would recover, and score four of the final five points of the half to take a three point lead into the locker room. 

The Lions led by eight after scoring the first five points of the half, but Northwest went on an 8-0 run and after a layup from Annie Matthews, and tied the score at 35 with 16:49 left in the game. The Lions led by six (52-46) after a layup from Washington with nine minutes left and led by seven after a pair of free throws from Stone made the score 58-51 with 3:25 left to go.

A quick pair of buckets from Stone and Weathers gave the Lions a five point lead (64-59) with 38 seconds left, but Northwest got back to within two after a three from Martin the next trip down. A free-throw gave the Lions a three point lead again, but a pair of free throws from Marnin cut it to one and a steal and a free throw from Henry tied the game at 65 with 23 seconds to go. Southern had a pair of chances on its final possession, but couldn't come away with a bucket and the game went to overtime. 

The Lions would out score Northwest 18-10 in the overtime period, the first OT game for the Lions since the final game of last season, and would make 9-12 from the free-throw line in the extra period. 

Southern out scored Northwest 45-26 in the paint and had a 15-2 advantage in fast-break points. The score was tied five times with two lead changes. 

The Lions are back in action this weekend when they start up the second half of MIAA play with a trip to Truman State on Saturday.